This calendar year is coming to a close. Have you hit your giving goals? Creating a 45-day plan may be the push your project needs.
Any purposeful gift is the result of intentional planning; it begins with God and flows from your faithful follow-through.
By this point in the year, you have had a lot of conversations with people, and you have certainly done a lot of communication. Probably at this point, pretty much everyone knows that you are asking for money, but you may be facing the challenge of still having a lot of ground to cover before the end of the fiscal year.
First things first – schedule a meeting. Whether you gather with your team or simply gather your thoughts, set an appointment and stick to it. Next, make a list. Explicitly inventory donors to retain, donors to regain, and donors to recruit.
- Retention This can be tricky. You’ve just asked for money…so how can you possibly justify asking for more? Expand your vision. God knows the plans he has for you, and they are plans for good! Rather than considering how big your ask is, consider instead how big is our God?
- Regaining Have you lost touch with donors who may consider reconnecting with your purpose? Reach out to them! Share what you’re doing and what you WILL do with their help.
- Recruitment Who have you been in the room with this year? Who has asked about your progress and purpose? Who has attended events and engagements you’ve hosted? Think back to any and all who expressed an interest in your passion – they may be one conversation away from becoming your next give.
To help the juices flow, here are some points to consider and discuss at your meeting:
- Are you clear about your vision, both short and long-term? Help donors understand their gift serves a continuing purpose. Doing so may encourage them to make a recurring gift in order to ensure a legacy of impact.
- Are you consistent? Donors must see proof of follow-through. Passionate plans are made stronger with purposeful proof of action.
- How many people have you shared your story with this fiscal year? How many people do you want to have shared your story with by fiscal year’s end? If there’s a gap between these two figures, get moving! You can’t depend on willing donors to find you – you must uncover them by setting a connection goal and going after it.
Step out in faith and put a 45-day plan into action. Make the most of this vulnerable time for donors by purposefully presenting a plan.